Sen. Chuck Schumer praises Biden as ‘true patriot' for not seeking second term

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer praised President Joe Biden after he announced the decision to not seek a second term.

“Joe Biden has not only been a great president and a great legislative leader but he is a truly amazing human being. His decision of course was not easy, but he once again put his country, his party, and our future first,” Schumer, D-N.Y., said in a statement.

“Joe, today shows you are a true patriot and great American,” Schumer said.

Schumer and Biden spoke at some point this afternoon, according to a source familiar with the conversation, NBC News reports.

In a statement on Sunday, Biden said he is stepping aside from the presidential race.

“It has been the greatest honor of my lift to serve as your president,” he wrote. “And while it has been my intention to seek reelection, I believe it is in the best interest of my party and the country for me to stand down and to focus solely on fulfilling my duties as president for the remainder of my term.”

Biden said he will speak to the nation later this week “in more detail about my decision.”

Days before Biden’s announcement, Schumer had reportedly had “blunt” conversations with the president about the state of the presidential race, according to sources familiar with their conversation.

According to the sources, Schumer presented the President with polling data that reflected the current state of the race and how that current state could impact the party going forward.


Post a Comment

0 Comments